Sunday 1 April 2012

I love Hunger Games!

More books arrived this week.
My postman now thinks I am an absolute nut of the first water; not my problem. Had I been American, I’d be able to buy these in a bookshop but I live in Ireland, so they must come in the post.
So this week, I was on the receiving end of:


I haven’t read any of them yet. Oh no. I chose this week to discover the Hunger Games instead.
Now, I know I have moaned about missing things in the past. I didn’t miss the Hunger Games; I just never got around to them. But then I started the first book because I was seeing the movie and well…no college work done. Friends neglected. Dog ignored. Whole series finished in two days. Felt like a complete idiot for not reading them before now, and like an even bigger idiot for not savouring them, seeing as there won’t be another book. They were beyond brilliant…if I was being picky I wasn’t overjoyed by the ending but the first book especially was just fantastic.

And the movie? I was really impressed. I hate it when films deviate too much from the book (like when it was implied that Hogwarts had a rowing club in the last Harry Potter movie I was not a happy bunny) but this movie was soooo faithful to the book; it all looked exactly how I imagined it, or pretty close.  Also, Liam Hemsworth? Hello. There is some ridiculous DNA in that whole family. I thought Jennifer Lawrence was a great Katniss and the scene with Roo was heartbreaking. I’m going to see it again with a Hunger Games obsessive this week and I bet she’s going to love it too.  

Oh, and the soundtrack! The Civil Wars, who I adore, have a great song on it with Taylor Swift called 'Safe and Sound'. Hearing it was the closest my heartless little self has come to crying in forever. There's also songs by Maroon 5 as you've never heard them before and a boatload of other awesome people. Go and see it now, regardless of whether you've read the books or not. It won't disappoint fans but is a great standalone film in its own right.

No comments:

Post a Comment